Monday, February 13, 2012

How can i counteract the effect of charcoal left in my vegetable garden?

I dumped some charcoal in about a 4' x 4' area of my vegetable garden over the winter and now nothing will grow in that area. Are there any fixes other than replacing the dirt all together? It is a raised bed garden.

How can i counteract the effect of charcoal left in my vegetable garden?
It sounds as if your charcoal had some chemicals from petroleum products, as regular wood charcoal shoud add potash to the soil. Unless it is too deep? If it is a chemical thing as it sounds, you probably don't want to grow anything edible in it anyway. I recommend digging it up and replacing the soil.
Reply:Here's what I would do. Dig up the area about 6 inches down and put it n a wheelbarrow. Fill the whole with dirt from the srrounding area. Take the charcoal and dump it some where else or crush it up and spread it around the whaole garden. Its because it was concentrated in one place that the problem occured.


No comments:

Post a Comment